10 Things We’ve Learned as Summer Interns
By Lizzie Venditti and Greta Gordon
As recent college graduates, we’ve grown as both young adults and public relations professionals during our internship at independent communications and creative firm Double Forte. Here are 10 things we’ve learned during our past 90 days in the office that we’ll carry with us throughout our careers.
- Teamwork is Key At Double Forte, everyone comes together during tight deadlines and major projects. Every team member is ready to take action if someone needs an extra hand. This is what makes the team dynamic at Double Forte so unique, and what makes the work they do so successful.
- Being a PR Professional Means Taking the Extra Step Double Forte believes that being successful in Public Relations means taking PR beyond the office and incorporating it into your everyday life. Use the world as your brainstorming landscape.
- Knowledge is Power Staying up-to-date with the news is big at Double Forte, and it’s proven to pay off. Staying relevant with the news means staying relevant with your client.
- San Francisco is Actually Cold in the Summer Our NYC intern Lizzie visited the West Coast for the first time at Double Forte’s annual Team Day. Much to her surprise, not all of California is hot. She also learned that the guy Karl who everyone talks about is not a real person.
- Don’t be afraid to speak up, and let your true talent shine It may seem daunting, but if you have an idea, say it, and if you have a hidden talent, show it. Our SF intern Greta knows how to tap-dance, though that hasn’t proven itself useful in the PR world, yet…
- Ask any and all questions you may have It’s a great way to show that you’re interested and curious about the work that you’re doing. Plus, you’ll learn more, which is a win-win!
- Keep your desk space neat Always leave your desk space tidy at the end of the day. It’ll make your life easier and it’s respectful to the people you work around.
- Bring lunch when you can However tempting it may be, buying lunch everyday gets expensive, especially in SF and NYC. Bringing your lunch a few days a week can help you save some of that hard-earned cash.
- Mango La Croix is the best flavor Double Forte drinks a lot of La Croix.
- Your internship will be over before you know it Enjoy it while it last because the time will fly by. In the end, you’ll be surprised by how much you’ve learned in just a few short months!